Is Water the Key to Losing Weight?
Is Water the Key to Losing Weight?
It’s what dieters have been telling us for years, but now there’s scientific research proving that drinking water before a meal can help you lose weight. By gulping down 500ml before eating, you could lose an additional 3lbs over the course of 12 weeks, compared to those who don’t.
So if you’re looking to shift a few extra pounds, then you may need to update your cold water storage tank to make sure you don’t run out!
Drinking a nice glass of water before eating fills you up without extra calories and can help shape decisions about what you eat, according to one of the scientists working on the experiment. They tracked the 84 participants’ activity levels and found no difference throughout the experiment. The University of Birmingham researchers therefore concluded that it was down to a higher water intake that resulted in bigger weight loss.
Here are some more benefits of drinking water that you may not have known about.
It Helps Fight Fatigue
You may have a morning ritual of having a cup of tea or coffee with your cereal, but this could be doing you more bad then good. Caffeine is a stimulant so it perks you up for a little while, but you will slump eventually and be reaching for another mug full. Sound familiar?
To try and break the cycle, try drinking more water. One of the biggest symptoms of dehydration is tiredness, so by upping your fluids you could actually find yourself more awake.
After a workout you could also find that your muscles are in unnecessary pain. Working up a sweat causes your muscles to lose hydration, leaving them tired if they aren’t topped up with fluids. Try drinking some more water before your last set of reps and you could find yourself working harder than you have in the past!
Protects You on the Inside
Stop trying to find that magic remedy or superfood that will cause you to live a long and healthy life, because the answer comes out of your running tap at home! Even though you’re probably aware that water has a huge array of internal benefits, you probably wouldn’t be able to list the specifics.
Water is a natural lubricant for your bones, which is vital for proper joint function and protects them from being damaged. It also regulates body temperature, which is vital to keep all your internal systems and functions working correctly, so make sure you’re drinking enough!
Finally, you can consider putting down the paracetamol if you’re a frequent sufferer of headaches. If your internal water supply is depleted, it puts pressure on the brain to function without something so vital to it. Try drinking a glass of water ten to twenty minutes before taking a painkiller to see if it’s because you’re dehydrated. Our body is great at telling us what it needs; we just need to learn to listen!
Makes You Better on the Outside
When you’re feeling good on the inside, it’ll show on the outside. Whether it’s through your mood or physical signs, water will have you looking your best – we’ll drink to that!
Some toxins in the body can cause inflammation in the skin, resulting in clogged pores and acne. While there are unscientific claims that it can help reduce the signs of wrinkles, we know for a fact that water does help flush out toxins through your kidneys, leaving your skin lovely.
Drinking water is also the cheapest beauty elixir for shiny, radiant hair.
How to Tell if you Need to Drink More
Our body is great at telling us what it needs at a particular time, so when you’re thirsty it’s your body’s way of telling you that you’re already dehydrated.
About 20% of our water intake comes from fruit and veggies that we eat, which means we need to make sure we’re getting the other 80% from drinking enough.
If you’re not a fan of the taste of water, then add a slice of lemon to it, which adds an array of healthy antioxidants. Alternatively, dilute some fruit squash in water, just make sure that there’s no added sugar or it’ll come with a whole bunch of calories that’ll stop you from losing those extra 3lbs!
Water is fantastic for a huge range of reasons and we hope this post inspires you to go forth and glug! If you have any questions about our cold water storage tanks, make sure you call us on 0121 323 4000 and a member of our friendly team will be happy to help.